California Solar Initiative
Rebates are available for Solar Water-Heating Systems
The CSI-Thermal Program offers cash rebates of up to $2,719 for solar water heating systems on single-family homes. Multifamily and Commercial properties qualify for rebates of up to $500,000. Save money on gas or electricity bills by harnessing the heat of the sun!
Funding for the CSI-Thermal program comes from ratepayers of PG&E, SCE, SoCalGas, and SDG&E. The rebate program is overseen by the California Public Utilities Commission as part of the California Solar Initiative.
Find out if you qualify
- CSI-Thermal rebates are available to homeowners, landlords and business owners who install new solar water heating systems in the service territories of PG&E, SCE, SoCalGas and SDG&E.
- Solar water heating systems must use eligible equipment that has a Solar Rating and Certification Corporation (SRCC) or International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO) OG-300 rating for single-family systems, and OG-100 rating for multi-family/commercial systems.
- Solar water heating systems eligible for rebates must displace the use of either natural gas, electricity or propane as the fuel for water heating.
How much you'll save
Rebates vary depending on the type of solar water heating system, location, shading and other design factors. A typical homeowner with a solar water heating system displacing natural gas can expect a rebate of about $2,200 at the initial incentive level. Rebates for electric-displacing systems are around $1,400 for the average system. Eligible low-income natural gas customers may qualify for higher incentives under the Low Income Program. Incentives will decline over time as the program meets certain benchmarks, so customers are encouraged to apply for their rebate early. To learn more about how much you will save, check the solar events calendar for a free solar hot water information class in your utility area.
Finding an Eligible Solar Thermal Contractor
Contractors and self-installers must become eligible to participate in the CSI-Thermal Program by taking a one-day training class offered by the CSI-Thermal Program Administrators. A listing of all eligible CSI-Thermal Solar Water Heating Contractors is provided for consumers.
Your solar water heating contractor will complete and submit the incentive application paperwork for you.
For More Information
- Contact the Program Administrator in your area for more information on applying for the CSI-Thermal Program.
- Check the availability of solar thermal classes in your area.
- Incentive levels, technical requirements and other program details can be found in the CSI-Thermal Program Handbook.
- To apply for rebates, visit the CSI-Thermal online application site.
- Current incentive levels can be found at CSI Solar Thermal Program Incentive Step Tracker.
- For information about CSI-Thermal program policy developments see the CSI-Thermal Program page on the CPUC website.
- You may download a file containing information on all projects that have applied for the CSI-Thermal rebate, including project size, type and cost information. Download the Excel CSV file.
- Qualify as a PPD Provider for the CSI Thermal program.
- Learn about installing CSI Thermal Metering Equipment.